Sunday, June 16, 2013

Three years in the making.

For the first time in three years I went OUT !!!  Not by ambulance to hospital or in a wooden box to the morgue hahaha, but in a car to a park with a friend. Since moving house in January my health has improved in small ways. When I crash it's less severe and it is happening less often. I am also able to move around my home a little easier and can stand up for longer etc. The last few weeks I have been feeling as though it might be time to test the waters and do a small outing. My chemical sensitivity and general smell sensitivity is much much worse now but I do have a pretty good carbon filter mask I can wear.

Today seemed like the perfect opportunity to try, beautiful and sunny but not hot and I woke up feeling as well as I ever can expect. My good friend Michael came and got me and I was so nervous. It felt a bit like when you are going overseas for the first time and you don't know what to expect. You have the butterfly's in  stomach and you check you locked all the doors 3 times before you leave. I got in the car and was expecting the car smell to be a problem but with my mask on it was actually ok. We drove a very short distance to a park just a couple of streets away. As we pulled over to the side of the road I could see there were some tables and chairs and swings etc. Michael parked the car and helped me out. Unfortunately the tables and chairs we to far for me to walk so instead I just sat on the grass by a big old tree. Wow! I did it .. I was outside! Amazing. It was lovely in the sun for 5 minutes or so but then I started to overheat so I moved a few feet into the shade ... still a lovely spot. We just sat and watched the birds for maybe 10 minutes by which time I started to feel tired. No desire to overdo it on my first try so it was time to return home. Michael helped me up. The walk back to the car was a little more difficult but manageable.




We drove home via a few surrounding street so I could get an idea of where I actually live. It's odd to have lived somewhere for 6 months and have no idea where you are situated and what surrounds you, so I have  a much clearer idea now.
Oh, the weirdest thing about the trip was that I wore a pair of shoes for the first time in 3 years. My feet felt really strange .... LOL

My hope now is that I don't crash tomorrow (which would not be unexpected) and next time I could go with my Mum and Dad and maybe take a picnic blanket and some lunch. What a treat that would be, for them as well as me. They have endured so much having to watch me suffer over the few years.

Things are looking up!!

16 comments:

  1. such exciting news LL!! BIG smiley face :) Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fan bloody tastic Lee Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you were able to take a short trip and spend some time outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic news!! Well done - it's a major milestone . . . and even during the anticipated crash to come, sometimes doing something so simple, yet so pleasurable makes the pain worth while. Looking forward to pictures of the (hopefully) soon-to-happen picnic xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have seen the huge effort you have put into recovery for yourself and others....hope you see alot more time spent beyond the walls...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that amazing :) ! So happy for you and big kiss for Michael for taking you too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! So happy for you Leelee!!....I am more lucky in that I do get a short outing here and there and I am well enough to lay in my chair out back. But I still know the feeling of being strange out in the world. My roommate/friend drives me to an appointment and I'm like "wow, look at the cars, look at the people....people doing things"
    I really hope the trend continues for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurray!!! So happy for you, Lee Lee - sounds like a wonderful outing. Hopefully, it will be the first of many!

    Sue

    Live with CFS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lee I just read your post on Aussie Lyme ..So thought I'd pop on over here and read your blog and say hello..Gosh I really feel and hear your excitement ...I was diagnosed with Lyme last year after so many years of suffering and like you I hardly ever leave the house because I'm just to sick ..it's such a terrible existence...to just be surviving rather then really living .. I wish you all the best and hope you didn't crash today and if you did it isn't to bad this time...my wish is for you ,me and every one else to be well ...all my love to you and I'm looking forward to hearing about your next outing ..hope it's soon..I live in the West and the days have been beautiful ..I love sitting outside in the sunshine , much gentler this time of year...Sherrie..I also have a blog about simple living that I started, to keep my mind occupied since I couldn't leave the house..love you to drop bye if you are up to it ...http://simpleliving-sherrie.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NIce to meet you Sherrie. i will most certainly check out your blog :)

      Delete
  11. I'm so pleased for you Lee. Don't know how you manage - you are an inspiration! Hoping for another trip out soon. xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh honey so glad for you. You know I so relate to the disorientation - when anyone asks for directions I have to say even though I've lived here since October last year, I cannot advise them about where anything is. Because I don't know.

    Really happy Michael took you out my sweet. So excited and cannot wait to one day hear about a picnic. You're inspiring me. I have been 'out' to the doctors but nowhere else. One day I want to get to the local beach.

    Love you brave one xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh the beach would be fantastic !! Hope you can make it happen :)

      Delete
  13. So happy for you Lee Lee!! Nothing better to lift the spirits than fresh air and green grass! Hope you have many many trips out to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete