Thursday, December 13, 2012

Keep it clean

Never underestimate the importance of domestic cleanliness. Two weeks ago I started to decline into yet another pit of misery. Same old story of waking up feeling like I have been hit by a truck, poisoned and unplugged.  About a year ago I started to see a distinct pattern with this. Every 2 weeks my cleaner would come and vacuum, do my laundry and change the sheets on my bed. The following day I would always awake with one of these flares and they would last usually 3 – 5 days. After some time I discovered that the ‘clean’ sheets that were going on my bed were actually poison to me. My cleaner would wash my dirty sheets and then hang them in my garage to dry. They would stay there until he returned 2 weeks later. The garage is dark, damp with no ventilation. During the time the sheets hung there they were growing mold. The clean/moldy sheets would then go on my bed and after sleeping on them I’d be toxic again the next day. I bought myself a clothes dryer and the problem was fixed, clean sheets would equal no crash for me. It was great.

During the last 3 years I have had similar type episodes but they would last weeks and would be much worse much more debilitating. Similarly it turned out that these episodes were also due to a build up of mycotoxins. What kind I am not entirely sure, there is no visible mold in my home but it is water damaged from a water pipe that leaked severely and went undetected for a year. What I have found is that if my cleaner doesn't come on one occasion then the month long wait is too long. Whatever ‘it’ is it starts building up and I get sick. This last flare was a perfect example. My cleaner didn't come and I started to spiral down after a week until I couldn't move from bed, couldn't use laptop or have TV on. Horribly ill. My parents came and cleaned like only your loving parents would do. They vacuumed, scrubbed, mopped … and within hours I started to feel better. I went to bed that night and realized that they had vacuumed my bedroom carpets and dust and whatever else was disturbed. The room smelled musty and when I woke in the morning I was even sicker!  I opened all the windows and left the fan on to air out the dust and within a day I was hugely improved. Within two days I was almost back to my version of normal. Fantastic!

Never underestimate how sick dirt/dust.mold.micotoxins or whatever can make you. Learning this lesson has been a big help to me. Of course keeping my place clean doesn’t change the fact that I have ME and will always be ill, but it’s great to know that this is a big trigger for me. So if you haven’t seriously made an effort in this department it’s worth a go.

A quick sidenote before I go …..
My friend Vicki who is a quadriplegic is about to have her government funding cut and wont be able to pay for everything she needs to live, including her carers. Me and some other friends have been trying to raise some money to help Vicki and we found a great opportunity to win her $5000. If you are an Australian resident then PLEASE vote for Vicki and help her win! The link to vote is here -

Also if you are on facbook you can show your support by liking the page I set up for her

And the page to donate if you have a few spare $$$ (don’t be afraid to donate a tiny amount, it ALL adds up and will help Vicki) -

Thank YOU !!